Saturday, October 9, 2010

Full Circle in Venice... and in Italy

There's a tasty little epilogue, of course.

After tasting gelato from Rome to Venice, I'm surprised to say that I have found a clear winner here in Venice. The store doesn't look like a Gelateria from the outside (no picture - head smack!) but more like a laboratory. I don't even think there is a sign. It is located beside the McDonald's I saw on my way in - the only one in Venice, so not hard to find.

They are called GROM, and use organic ingredients with no artificial colours or flavours. This is their menu board.



























I tried their limone yesterday and it was amazing - a massive punch of lemon taste, great light texture, and just the right balance of sugar. There was no artificial aftertaste. Angels wept, then beat each other over the head for a spoon. Then wept some more.




















They have to stir around in the pots to get the gelato into the right consistency to scoop. It's quite the process to watch.

Tonight I went with a new favourite to see how it compared to other places. Chocolate and hazelnut. It was... moan.... really.... nomnomnomnomnom!!!!



























The truest hazelnut taste ever. Not very sweet at all. Great chocolate flavour. And I leave in the morning before they open. So... this was the last gelato. And the hands-down winner!

As if you need another reason to come to Venice!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Annie, this is Laura! Mom gave me the link to your blog and I took a quick look through all your entries. Love all the pictures so much, I want to go to Italy so bad!

    Hope all is well!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne, this is Lynda - Laura showed me how to get with it here....sounds like I have to get some of the lemon gelato, my absolute favorite!!!!

    Are you counting down the days.... boo hoo... I am just getting started here!!!! Please keep on touring so I can keep on following!!!!

    ReplyDelete