Sunday, October 3, 2010

Uffizi? MY Feetsies!




















It's hard to grumble when you're in Florence, in week 3 of your trip to Italy but... my feet hurt!

I've had to scale back my romping and frolicking for the day, and likely the rest of the trip - which is OK. The paving stones here are playing hell with my feet and knees, to the point that I am having problems with stairs and walking on these damn stones! The stones aren't level in any direction - front/back, side to side or height - and compensating for them pretty much every step since I landed has taken its toll, even with the lavish self-medication.

So, I did a few things earlier today, then crashed for a 3-hour nap, and have been hanging out for a few hours, trying not to bitch.

What did I do today? Hmm...

I had a 9 am ticket for the Uffizi, which is a 2 minute walk, or 4 minute hobble from the hotel.




















It's a U-shaped building, above, and they don't allow photos inside, so this is as much as you'll see here. It starts with a 4-storey staircase. Arrggghhhh!

I have to admit... I've seen enough important art now, thanks. There are surely some paintings in there that can't fail to impress, but for the most part, art of that time was church-centric and overwrought. There are paintings or sculptures of people dying bloodily and messily, praying earnestly, having raptures, and all kinds of allegorical crap, and I've seen enough. Oh - you walk through not one, but five gift shops on the way out. Done, thanks!

That said, don't think I'm a complete Philistine. (Think of me as Auntie Phil.) I went next to the Santa Croce Basillica. OK, I went there because it's also home to the Florence Leather School, where you can stand and sniff the leather like it was glue, and buy some great stuff, but I also wanted to see the church. And dopey me, I didn't take any pictures of the outside, but picture the Duomo only smaller - same colours and bells and like that. (Auntie Phil! I like that!)

There is a decent amount of stained glass, but all at a great height, so hard to see or photograph clearly. (I tried, Paul!)




















Of most interest is the impressive collection of notables who are buried / entombed here.

Machiavelli and Dante, for two.

















































Oh, yeah? I'll see your Dante and raise you a Michaelangelo. Yup - THAT Michaelangelo.














































And - colour me surprised - after all the persecution and confessions, Gallileo and the church are together for eternity. This is who I really wanted to pay my respects to.







































Not that I would ever want to be first remembered for my grasp of geometry (maybe for making a mean guacamole), but he does have a hell of a CV.
Anyway, it was a very memorable stop, and I'd take that over the Uffizi any day.

Next was a very short wander back to the hotel via the Ponte Vecchio, which is crammed end to end with gold merchants, and is insane.




















That's the Uffizi on the left.




















And now that it's dark, it's time to go forage for food. Tomorrow I may take on the Central Market if the feetsies are willing.

Keep those emails coming! (Hint!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment