Saturday, October 2, 2010

Next Stop - The Renaissance

***This is the third time I've tried to post this. I have a lousy connection and when I try to post, the text gets eaten, I forgot what I wrote, the new text is lame, and then it happens again. Grrrrr.

It was hard leaving Manarola and the Cinque Terra on Saturday. The area is gorgeous and I would have liked to have hiked between the towns.

On Friday, the sun had come out and I took a walk down by the harbour and along some of the trails. As I spent some time watching the ocean, 2 men came to shore in a boat. I watched them for about 10 minutes, and learned how they get the boats out of the water and onto land 30 feet up.




















I woke up yesterday to the sound of a machine working nearby. I took an apple out onto the balcony for breakfast, and watched these guys directly below crushing grapes while I ate. They must have had 30 or 40 crates. Wine season is underway in the Cinque Terre!




















The trip into Florence was a bit rough. First there was the schlepping of bags from my aerie, then 2 train connections to get here. There were a lot of steps and my leg is in pretty rough shape, so I've not explored much yet.

Now, Florence has different areas, like most cities. Like the leather district, the University district, etc. Apparently I am staying in the gelato district. There are no less than 6 gelaterias in the block.

I stopped across the street after settling in, and the 3 guys manning the gelato counter were having a fight about who was more handsome, and they dragged me into it. I went with Louie, and apparently that doesn't happen often. I have won his heart, and his scooping hand. Louie served up a gelato that would sink a ship.




















Unfortunately, this is the first gelato I have had that I didn't like. They make it with bits in it. I ordered a reliable lemon / strawberry mix, and the bits of lemon were really bitter, and the strawberry didn't have any flavour even with the bits. So I waited until I was out of sight of Louie and tossed it in the trash. Such is love in Florence.

The bus from the train dropped me off on the other side of the Ponte Vecchia, and my hotel is about a bridge-length away on this side. Very close to the Ufizzi and many other good sights. It's a great location, but I don't know what is holding the Ponte Vecchio up - it looks like it will collapse into the Arno any minute.




















I went to the Uffizi and got my ticket for this morning, then went to the Piazza Signoria behind it. There is an incredible amount of great sculpture there, including a copy of the David where it originally stood (now should I pay to see it in the Accademia?). I returned later to a trattoria there for dinner, and wanted to ask these guys to put something on while I ate.






























































































The Duomo isn't far from here, and it's massive. It is hard to photograph, because other buildings are so close.




















Even walking nearby, you can always see some of the Duomo.

























Even just walking around, there are interesting details in the street. For example, this iron window cage...

























The grill work is being supported on both sides at the front by these turtles.




















Are there a lot of scooters in Florence? Does the Pope...actually, I think we've established that he doesn't. Regardless, there are a lot of scooters in Florence.





















Now, tragedy plus time equals comedy, and this happened yesterday, so I guess I can laugh at this now.




















Ben and Jerry's... in Florence!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

What were they thinking?

They were likely thinking that Americans would flock to the place. And they do.

Joke's on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment