Friday, September 24, 2010

Orvieto, Umbria

I moved on from Rome this morning to a small hill town an hour north by train, called Orvieto. It's very scenic, although it's been overcast and trying to rain all day.

The hotel is small, and cheap, and on the main drag. I have to cross this terrace to get to my room.




















This is down the street from the hotel.




















The Duomo is the big deal in town, and it is striking from the front, with a lot of detail. The side, however, is finished in horizontal stripes of black and white stone, making it look like a prison - although I'm sure that wasn't the case when it was built. Probably.

























Some of the details...



































































The walls are impressive, although I'm sure they will be even more so as I move north.





















The reason I chose to stay in Orvieto is that it's right on the train line, and is a very short bus ride to 2 towns called Bagnoreggio and Civita, which are joined by a stone bridge. Civita has no car traffic. You have to take the bus to Bagnoreggio and walk to Civita, which is what I am doing tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it as the pictures are fabulous.

Orvieto is a town that can be seen in about 6 hours, which is what I've done, and it's not a town I'd likely come back to.

Not a lot of internet access either so I may be scarce for a few days. Ciao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment