Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Rome In A Night

Even the hours of exploring yesterday couldn't discourage me from taking a nice long walk in Rome after dark. Rick Steves recommends a walk from Campo di Fiore to the Spanish Steps, passing several interesting sights on the way, so despite aching feet I set out.

I decided to walk to Campo di Fiore, which isn't on the map but is vaguely described in the book.

After hoofing past the Colossem and Forum again, and working my way south-east, I never found it. It must exist in another dimension.

Fortunately, I stumbled upon the second sight on the walk - Piazza Navona. It is brilliant!



The Piazza is huge, ringed with restaurants and cafes and boasts two fabulous fountains and what has to be a permanent crowd. I spent some time exploring, had some pizza and continued on toward the Pantheon.

Not the easiest place to find at night, but worth the hunt, especially for the sight of a full moon directly overhead.



It isn't open at night, so I made plans to return during the day. Next stop - the Trevi Fountain.



Again, the size of the fountain, and the crowd, was a bit of a surprise. Photos don't seem to do it justice.

The last stop was the Spanish Steps. Beautifully lit and again crowded at 11:30, I climbed to the top, delighted to find the Metro there so that I could get back to the hotel and sleep.



Who would close a Metro at 11:30 in a city as big as Rome? Nothing for it at that point except to walk. My evening walk turned into a 4-hour marathon but it was wonderful weather and a great way to spend an evening in Rome.

And... what happens in the Gelateria STAYS in the Gelateria!



No comments:

Post a Comment