Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Roma

You have to love a city that actually wants you to be there - good signage, easy transit, helpful people. (The baggage handlers, however, appear to be brought in from France.)


It was a pretty uneventful trip in, only getting mildly lost twice. But after the standard flight / airport connector train / subway, it was pretty striking to leave the subway and immediately see the Colosseum.




I passed so many interesting sights on my way to the hotel, but couldn't stop to fully enjoy them, such as an old, working water fountain, and the Palatine Hill excavation (which isn't technically on the way to the hotel, see above re: lost). This is going to be an amazing visit.







The B&B is in a great location (thanks, Deb). It has a window that opens, which is great for cooling things down, and it will be cool for the rest of my stay because I can't figure out how to close it. There is a tiny shower (how do these women shave their legs?) and I'll have fun with the bidet. There is a very cool turret at the end of the street which I will have to check out. And there are great litle stores and restaurants very close by. I did as much exploring as I could given the lack of sleep last night, and the legs are holding up well.

There's a wifi hotspot somewhere - likely the hotel across the street - so I'm on line, but no luck yet with the phone. There was a kiosk at the airport selling SIM cards, but they wanted 240 euros for them (NOT kidding) as opposed to the 5 pounds I've been paying in the UK. Everything is closed today - Sunday - so I'll try somewhere else tomorrow.




I met a couple from Scarborough and another from Syracuse at supper, and we compared notes. There may be fireworks over the Colosseum tonight, but I'm not sure I can stay awake that long... Oh, yeah. They have Gelato here. Go figure!



The camera gizmo is working (thanks Tommy) so here are the first pictures. Now I'm off for some sack time.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment