Thursday, September 30, 2010

Starry, Starry Night

Yesterday was glorious, and the sunset was postcard perfect.




















After finishing the blog, I went to a local restaurant for supper, and had the best Penne all Arrabiata that I have ever had. I spent the whole meal trying to figure out how to make it at home.

Something I hadn't seen for a long time - stars! I sat on my little balcony for a long time last night just looking at the stars and watching the lights of a few boats crossing my line of vision. I spent some time planning what to do today, and went to bed and had a great 9-hour sleep.

And woke up to grey skies and light rain. Crud.

I adjusted my plans and decided to take the boat up to Motrerosso al Mare, the 5th or northernmost town, and made my way down to the harbour in time to see this...




















This is known as Missing the Boat. Changing plans quickly, I grabbed a train instead, by which time the storm was blowing off to the north, the rain was tapering off and the sun was nearly out.

The local trains here are a great deal, costing less than $2 for 6 hours use in any direction. The towns are only a few minutes apart, so it doesn't take long to get anywhere.

These towns are all built on rock though, so there are a lot of tunnels. Long tunnels. Kinda makes up for the lack to domes and towers...





















Unfortunately, like the storm, I was also blowing off to the north and I was into another storm when I got to Monterosso. It was light enough that walking around wasn't a problem, but it was clear that hiking the trails was out. I feel that I've really let down my cheerleader, Trish, but I'll simply have to come back. Monterosso is beautiful!

























Now, this guy was fishing from the pier in Monterosso. I swear that he was using the longest fishsing pole I have ever seen, easily 25 feet. He was gathering quite a crowd, as you would expect of a man with a 25 foot pole.

I was able to get the boat down to Vernazza, the next town south. A quick 10-minute ride, plus the hour wait, as I just missed the boat - again.

Eventually arrived in Vernazza, it is also very pretty, and somewhere I would consider staying next time. A toss up between Manarola and Vernazza actually.








































It was long past lunch time in Vernazza, and I found this little place selling focaccia. This one was mmmmMMMmmmmmm!

























You can't go far on focaccia though. Fortunately I found... well... you know.

























Cocao (rick, dark chocolate) and nocciola (hazelnut) nom nom nom!

In Cinque Terre, getting a friend to help you move will likely cost a lot more than a case of beer.




















Am gearing up for the anticipated "Tempest" tomorrow. Trying to remember if that play was a comedy or a tragedy. Or both. Fortunately I have a supply of focaccia!

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment