Monday, September 20, 2010

My Life In Ruins

Today was hot and sunny, and I spent all of it on my feet and trying not to think of Bugs Bunny cartoons, especially the ones with Gladiators and chariot races...



The Colosseum does not disappoint. The tour guide was an Italian who thinks he is Roberto Benini and who made it clear that the Greeks were mere wannabees, but he was very good. Unless you are Greek.



Despite the damage from that earthquake hundreds of years ago, you can still imagine the noise and energy of the crowd of 70,000. They will soon be opening the area below ground for tours but I was a bit too early for that. You can still see the grooves on the top of those stones where the pulleys lifted the 32 different elevators to bring animals, scenery or whatever to the stage.

















The best view of the outside of the Colosseum was from Paletine Hill.
Cobblestones have never been my favourite things, but they have nothing on these old stones of the Via Sacra. From which we get the word 'sacroiliac' which you will break walking on the damn things.



But Gelato cures all (except cellulite) and the limone was amazing - not an ice, but an ice cream. Yowzah! It kills me to say it, but... La Casa Gelato, you have been outclassed!

I hobbled back to my lair after 8 hours for a much-needed siesta, and will likely head out for a walk tonight.

NOTE: my Primus email is not working today. This morning I couldn't connect at all, and this afternoon I was able to see my Inbox but couldn't open anything. If it continues tomorrow, I'll consider opening a Gmail account or something. And still no luck with the SIM card as nobody in this area sells them. I'll check around when I get futher afield.

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment