Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Stairway to Heaven

Landed in Cinque Terre this afternoon, and it is so different from where I have been for the last 5 days. Instead of thousand year old hill towns (and a fair bit of rain), I have the sea, cloudless blue skies and a warm breeze.

The train from Siena to Manarola was quite easy, considering I had to change trains 3 times. I met the rental agent soon after I arrived and she showed me to my room. First, you walk uphill forever. Then, when you run out of hill, you climb 78 steps, to this...




















Then you open the window and look at the view...




















Yeah. That's pretty hard to take.

Manarola is the 2nd of 5 hill towns (going from south to north) on a small, high section of coast in the Mediterranian - I think this part is called the Ligurian Sea. Put simply, there is up and more up.




















They terraced the hills into these slim plots of land where they grow grapes and make ridiculously expensive wine.

























A small creek flows the length of town into the sea.





















There are trails that link all 5 towns, but the one between Manarola and the town to the north is closed today due to risk of mud slides from the recent rain.




















There were people swimming in the little protected pool at the shore.




















I walked the easy trail to Riomaggiore and back this afternoon, and it was a beautiful walk.

























This is one of the staircases in town. It goes waaaay up. Children here have legs like tree trunks.

























You can see my room here. Above Tratorria Billy, and above the pink building it is located in, is a white building. One the 3rd floor from the top, 1 pair of shutters is open - that's me!

I've really been surprised by the amount of grafitti here. Not only the buildings, but this plant has been damaged. People have carved their names in the leaves and they've written them in marker too. The plant is 6 feet tall and will likey die. Idiots.



















I just uploaded the pictues while sitting on a roof watching the sun set over the ocean. Now it's time for a yummy dinner. I'm going to do as much as I can tomorrow because we are still expecting really bad weather on Friday, so that may be a day in - not a totally bad thing.

Oh, yeah, they have gelato here! Yay!

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment